Making life a little easier
We work on a referral basis only through registered referring agencies who contact us with a request.
We fill these requests as quickly as possible.
Urgent requests are filled for people in refuge or that have already settled in their new homes. Their clients may have just arrived in refuge and need some nappies for their baby, toiletries for themselves, or they may have just moved into their new home and need some kitchen items.
Some examples of Urgent Requests we receive:
- A bicycle to help a little friend get to and from school.
- Driving lessons for a mum learning independence for the first time.
- A formal dress for a little friend celebrate the end of her schooling with her friends.
- Baby items to set up a nursery for a mum who was eight months pregnant and just left an abusive relationship
- Some décor for a Refuge to make it feel more comfortable
- Removalist costs to help a family escape a violent home
…and the list goes on
Making the magic happen
This is where YOU our amazing supporters come in. We go through the list of donations we’ve received, and put a call out through our Friends With Dignity Facebook page with the details of the request.
We never know their names
We never meet our clients nor do we ever know their names. We work through our network of referring agencies to ensure our clients’ privacy is always protected. We are here with no judgement but to ensure they have a friend they may never meet and are treated with dignity.
Many of the families write to us through the referring agency with feedback and those letters make it all worthwhile. Our little friends often send a drawing, and those not only bring a tear to the eye, but they remind us of the profound difference we have all made to that family. It’s about making a difference to “One Friend at a time”.